freetds - RE: [freetds] TDS_DONE_TOKEN (and others)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] TDS_DONE_TOKEN (and others)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:02:58 -0400

Thanks.

> Also our library do not work with non ASCII extended charset.
> It this a
> problem? Some code require query parsing, so extended ascii charset
> (even utf8) work,

Not a problem in theory. We just need two TDSICONVINFO structures, one for
UCS-2, and one for the server's character set.

> ebcdici (how to write it?) not!

See the iconv FAQ. Basically, it says: "EBCDIC? No!"

> I renamed TDS_COMPLETED in TDS_IDLE and changed code in
> query.c to test this state instead of "PENDING".

Wow. That was quick!

> I also changed all server type define
> to an enum. My intention is to use enum so compiler can provide better
> warnings

I like enum and think it's underused. Sometimes we're constrained; either
because Sybase used #define, or because emum is 'int' bits wide (and so not
appropriate for, say, a 2-byte status code in the TDS packet).

> Anyone know how to pass dynamic query to Sybase passing types? Can I
> post a dynamic query like
>
> create proc my_proc @pippo int as ... ??
>
> In TDS7+ I do something like
> sp_prepare @P1 out, '@pippo int', 'select @pippo', 1
> sp_execute @P1, @param1, @param2 ...

TDS 5.0 uses the TDS_DYNAMIC (0xE7) token. I doubt there's any support for
dynamic queries in 4.2.

With TDS_DYNAMIC, you send the statement text, then *ask* the server to
describe the i/o parameters (i.e. types). To execute, you send TDS_DYNAMIC
again ('type' TDS_DYN_EXEC (0x02)), followed by a bunch of parameter
packets. Paramater names are not supported.

IMHO, this is a sensible approach, but requires the server to do more work.

> When I issue an RPC no TDS_DONE is returned (last returned is
> TDS_DONEPROC without continue).

That conforms to Sybase's functional specification.

> Perhaps we can test tds->state after
> tds_process_results_token but this lead future problem when
> we implement full thread-safe...

Is the question, When should we set "tds->state = TDS_IDLE"?

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.

  • RE: [freetds] TDS_DONE_TOKEN (and others), Lowden, James K, 04/30/2003