freetds - RE: [freetds] charset, mssql

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] charset, mssql
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:56:35 -0400

Hi Freddy,

I don't have access to a 2K server, so this will be a challenge. :-(

> If you want to try FreeTDS snapshot use TDS7 even for mssql2k.
> Problem is due to conversion stuff. During login TDS8 server send
> default collation for database using env type 7. This collation is
> readed and used to setup iconv according (using collation charset)

To do this right, we need a map from Microsoft's charset names to iconv
names.

> however all next conversation use still ucs2...
> TDS7 do not have this problem cause return collation information in a
> different way (not still supported by FreeTDS, env types 5 and 6).

UTF-8 clients really need (at least) two TDSICONVINFO structures:

1. client <-> UCS-2 [nchar]
2. client <-> server charset [char]

TDS 8.0 clients need more, potentially, one for each distinct client-server
charset pair.

My solution so far:

TDSSOCKET::iconv_info becomes an array (not done yet).

TDSCOLINFO gets a new member, TDSICONVINFO *iconv_info, that points to one
of the elements in TDSSOCKET::iconv_info. (Done already, but only for UCS-2
columns, and not committed). If the server column doesn't need iconv
intervention, its iconv_info is NULL.

I set up the TDSICONVINFO* while adjusting the column_length, when I know
the server's and client's character set. ATM is relies on the one-and-only
TDSICONVINFO structure, in the TDSSOCKET. To make it general, we will need
utility functions to search the socket's array based on a pair of charset
names.

I think an array for TDSSOCKET::iconv_info is better than a linked list,
because it will be reallocated infrequently. Tell me if you think
different.

> TDS7 and TDS8 handle collation in slightly different ways:
>
> TDS7
> - every database have it's collation
^^^^^^^^ every *server*

> I think we should have some fixed iconv structures (like database one
> and ucs2) and cache others conversions.

Right. That's my array in TDSSOCKET. :-)

> Also tds_get_string is not sufficient

Cf. tds_get_char_data(). Takes a TDSCOLINFO structure. Soon, that
structure will have a pointer to a valid (cached) TDSICONVINFO structure.
Then it will be easy to decide what kind of conversion is needed.

If tds_get_char_data() encounters a charset pair not already present in the
TDSSOCKET::iconv_info array, it will have to ask for one to be added. That
function doesn't exist yet, either.

tds_get_string() is only useful if you *know* the inbound string is UCS-2
and you don't have a TDSCOLINFO structure. I.e., at login and when reading
metadata.

We had a long discussion about handling conversion errors. Per my earlier
message, we cannot silently insert a '?' whenever the conversion fails. We
must emit an error message. For reads, we can proceed, but for writes we
must refuse to process the data.

I think it's OK to abort reading BIG5 data on failed conversions, too.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.