freetds - RE: [freetds] error-handling-bugs

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] error-handling-bugs
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:39:50 -0400

> From: Stefan Hans [mailto:shans AT tanagra.de]
> Sent: April 22, 2003 10:08 AM
>
> Hi James,

Hi Stefan,

I think you have a PHP question. Your setup looks reasonable to me.

> [root@linux1 freetds-0.61]# ./configure --with-tdsver=8.0
> --enable-dbmfix

OK, but --enable-dbmfix doesn't do anything anymore.

> ./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.22 --enable-trans-sid
> --with-sybase=/usr/local/freetds --with-openssl=../openssl-0.9.6
> --with-mm=../mm-1.1.3 --enable-track-vars...

Looks good; you're using db-lib.

> [root@linux1 apache_1.3.22]# cat > ../freetds/etc/freetds.conf
> [global]
> tds = 8.0
> host = 195.27.229.142
> port = 1433

That's a little odd, because you don't define any servers, but OK.

> /* my tested procedure:
> create procedure show_error
> as
> raiserror ('My Errortext', 18, 1)
> */
> But only "where is the errortext? - " comes back.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. :-(

I'm sure if you look at the TDSDUMP log, you'll see the error message come
back from the server without any complaint from FreeTDS. And if you use
tsql, you'll see the error message printed to the screen. You could test
db-lib, too, by modifying a unit test (we don't have one specifically for
raiserror), but I wouldn't bother unless you're not confident that db-lib is
passing the message to PHP.

The real question is, What is PHP doing with the message? I don't use PHP,
so I don't know much about it, but ISTR there are a couple of ways to deal
with error messages, and some switches to set. I can only suggest you look
in that direction, unless someone here can offer more concrete advice.

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.