freetds - RE: [freetds] column_unicodedata considered harmful

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] column_unicodedata considered harmful
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:27:05 -0500

At 12:16 PM -0500 4/2/2003, Lowden, James K wrote:
> From: ZIGLIO Frediano [mailto:Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafoneomnitel.it]
> Currently my Sybase server (only a test server) is 11.9.2. So
it do not
support utf8. I think someone can test the behavior of Sybase
using utf8 data.
- if server is utf8 and return data in iso8859-1 (iso_1) how it return
column sizes?
- if server is iso_1 (reinstallation required?) how it return
column sizes?
- test unichar and univarchar columns
- test longvarbinary TDS type with UTF16 inside (does server
use UCS2 or real UTF16?)

These would be useful and interesting tests. I'm in the same boat you are
atm with 11.9.2.

I'm running 12.5 on my laptop with utf8 as the native character set. I'm tied up with another project right now, but if one of you can send me a test program I can compile and run it.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin