freetds - Re: [freetds] freebcp and I18N

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mark AT lilback.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freebcp and I18N
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:59:10 -0500

At 5:04 PM -0500 3/27/2003, Lowden, James K wrote:
I'm thinking '-c' could optionally take a charset name instead. Of people
interested in freebcp, I'd like to know if you think emulating Sybase's
choices is important.

At some point, I plan to add support for the cslib functions that take a Sybase charset name and convert that to the appropriate charset for iconv to use. That way code that works with OpenClient will work with FreeTDS (at least for the charsets I'm concerned about, mainly the basic ISO-Latin and Unicode ones).

That code would largely be the same as you would need for freebcp to support the charset names.

I don't have a need for freebcp, but the code to convert Sybase charset names to iconv charset names will be needed for ctlib. I'd suggest a different flag to specify the iconv charset name, maybe "-c" for a libiconv name and at some later point take a "-q" for the sybase name, once we have a mapping made.

"They that can give up essential liberty
Mark J. Lilback to obtain a little temporary safety
<mark AT lilback.com> deserve neither liberty or safety."
http://www.lilback.com/ -- Benjamin Franklin