freetds - [freetds] Connecting perl to MS SQL on Tru64 Unix use freetds

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Gordon Ross <ross AT fas.harvard.edu>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Connecting perl to MS SQL on Tru64 Unix use freetds
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:09:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I wanted to document for you a problem I found and have appeared
to fix on Tru64 Unix. The larger problem description is below, but
suffice it to say that apache/perl/dbd-sybase/freetds was failing
horribly (seg faults, etc) during the load of Sybase.so in perl. The
problem appeared to be a memory trashing issue.

Michael Peppler suggested that this may be a 64 bit problem. I
rebuilt perl/dbd-sybase/freetds as 32 bit shared libraries and the
problems I was having went away. Since rebuilding as a 32 bit shared
object reorganizes memory, the memory trasher (if that is the problem)
is not affecting the operation of freetds. For me, I think I have a
fix--and believe me I'm happy.

-- Gord

I have loaded perl 5.8.0/DBD-Sybase .91, .95/freetds .60 and it
works properly except if I use it under apache (1.3.27)--which is
where I need it most. The errors I receive are (1) seg fault, (2)
cannot find symbol iconv_open (during the loading of Sybase.so) and
(3) "Had to create DBD::Sybase::dr::imp_data_size unexpectedly". Oh,
and sometimes it works. The errors always happen during the
DBI -> connect (). My guess is that memory is being trashed
somewhere.

I figure I need to use DBD::ODBC and OpenLink's SQL Server 2000
driver to get the connection working. If you have wisdom as to what
may be wrong, please (I beg, gravel of you) to tell me what is really
failing.

- Versions: OS Tru64 Unix 4.0F
Apache 1.3.27
Freetds 0.60
DBD-Sybase 0.91 and 0.95
Openssl 0.9.6g
Perl 5.8.0
Mod_perl 1.27
Mod_ssl 2.8.12
DBI 1.32
Expat 1.95.6

- This (for now) is an attempt to connect to microsoft sql server 6.5.
- There are no errors if I use the sybase libraries instead of freetds.

Thank you!

-- Gord