freetds - RE: Shared libraries not installing on AIX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Shared libraries not installing on AIX
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:55:06 -0500

My pleasure.

> bash-2.05# ls -l /usr/local/freetds/lib
> total 3832
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root system 630040 Oct 31 12:39 libct.a
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root system 687 Oct 31 12:39 libct.la
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root system 731428 Oct 31 12:39 libsybdb.a
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root system 702 Oct 31 12:39 libsybdb.la
[...]

OK, so "make install" is copying the static libraries and not the shared
ones.

Hmm. The only thing you did that I've never done is "--enable-shared". I
wonder if perhaps that's getting in your way. The syntax help:

--enable-shared=PKGS build shared libraries default=yes

is weird. "PKGS" doesn't usually stands for "yes/no", and "yes" is a funny
name for a package. :/

Why don't you just remove it from your configure invocation, and see what
happens? This for sure: you don't need it.

> I added /usr/local/freetds/lib to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
> that did not help.

Well, no, it wouldn't, because the shared libraries aren't there.

> I tried coping the *.so.o files to $SYBASE/lib/*.so (Poke It
> With A Stick) and that also failed.

"make install" does more than just copy the files. I don't know every
detail, but symbolic links and chmod are two things it does.

Just to be clear, $SYBASE isn't used by FreeTDS in your setup. It might be
used by something looking for Sybase libraries (for which FreeTDS likes to
substitute).

HTH.

out such orders and/or instructions.