freetds - Re: Ode to UTF-8

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James K. Lowden <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: camber AT ais.org
  • Subject: Re: Ode to UTF-8
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 19:49:00 -0400

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 18:01:02 -0400 (EDT), "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
wrote:

> I think perhaps the best solution would be to support multi-byte char
> sets, period. Be it big5 or ucs-2 or whatever. This is particularly
> nice for our asian users as their non-unicode aware applications are
> multi-byte. UCS-2 could be converted to big5, and then bound to the
> application in that format. The biggest thing here would simply be to
> remove all reference to strlen() as it is applied to items within the
> row buffer, and some fixups to conversion code (int is an int but the
> string representation in multibyte is tricky), most likely we convert to
> ascii (as all numbers, and decimal point are ascii) using the standard
> unix functions and convert from there using iconv.

Well, that would be interesting. A FreeTDS that doesn't care about nulls
in its string buffers and doesn't ever make any assumptions about
character width, of course, could pass UCS-2 straight through. That would
be better than dual conversion, for sure.

I was working from the assumption (more than the knowledge) that that
would be hard to accomplish. I thought passing UCS-2 would be about as
much fun as passing a kidney stone.

> Don't get me started on datetimes.

OK. ;)

> What's needed? unicode columns in SQL Server and a terminal that support
>
> utf-8 with sqsh.

Yup. AIUI, UTF-8 has been hacked into the Linux console, but that's about
it. There's no free xterm that understands it. You'd have to pipe the
output to a browswer or something.

+++

Made some progress on the UG. Am a little concerned about cancel
processing wrt the release. What do you think?

Regards,