freetds - ODBC & convert logic

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Thompson" <thompbil AT exchange.uk.ml.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ODBC & convert logic
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:36:24 -0400

All,

some general updates/observations/musings etc.

I've updated the ODBC code to fit in with our new convert logic. In
particular we can now:

return data to SQL_C_CHAR type variables from most server datatypes with
the correct padding/terminating etc.

return data to other host program datatypes including the many varieties
of date/time/timestamp structures; floats; numerics; etc.

Brian - have you done anything with the last set of code I sent you? If
not it would probably be best for me to repeat that exercise. Let me know
how things stand.

In the course of doing this I installed unixodbc. I tried iodbc, but
couldn't get it all to hang together. I found unixodbc to be very
straightforward, with good technical support on their site, and a pleasure
to use.

I've never touched ODBC before, but found it to be an elegant API.
How mature is our ODBC driver, and where are the main shortfalls?
I'd like to contribute to fill any glaring holes in our coverage.

regards,

Bill

  • ODBC & convert logic, Bill Thompson, 08/01/2002