freetds - Re: nothing to install on the server?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Darryl Friesen" <Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: nothing to install on the server?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:46:51 -0600

> Is it correct that to use freeTDS you only have to make and
> install/configure it and optionally use an Driver manager like the
> iodbc Manager.
> It is not nessecary to install anything on the server like one needs
> to do with the OpenLink solution.

Correct, which is one of the reasons we went with FreeTDS instead of the
OpenLink stuff (the other being that they actually want money). I could
never understand why I needed to install a server component (which wanted a
reboot! I don't think so!) to get ODBC to work from Unix. No one on their
support board gave me an answer either.

> So with freeTDS i can connect from a Linux client (webserver) to
> numerous databases (SQL Server7 on NT/2000) servers without "any"
> problems ;-)?

I don't think anyone here will guarantee that! :) But it's free, doesn't
require a server component, has _great_ support through this list and works
really well.

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca
Education & Research Technology Services, http://gollum.usask.ca/
Information Technology Services Division,
University of Saskatchewan
"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"