freetds - RE: default database context?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: default database context?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:05:01 -0400

The default database is an attribute of a login. If your application uses
one account consistently, it will always land in the same default database.

You *can* use database.owner.tablename (or, usually, database..tablename)
anytime or all the time. Many RDBMSs -- I don't know about postgresql --
don't have a notion of "a database" in the namespace, so I understand why
you'd want to avoid qualifying the table names.