freetds - Re: Fetch records in TDS 7.0 ???

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Fernando" <nulll AT bol.com.br>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fetch records in TDS 7.0 ???
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:08:01 -0400

> > > The server listens to your query and composes a result set. If the
> > > result set is not sorted (no ORDER BY), the server will start
> > > returning rows as soon as it finds some that meet your criteria. If
> > > the result set *is* sorted, the server has to wait until it finds all
> > > your rows, then sort them, then send you the rows. Frequently,
> > > sorting leads to waiting.
> > >
> > > Does that answer your question?
>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 23:39:20 -0500 "Fernando" <nulll AT bol.com.br> wrote:
> >
> > More or less. The result set can are in server and I fetch a group of
> > lines by time until end ? Can I send to my client application lines of
> > result set by solicitation hers ?
> > I want that part of result set stay on server until my client
> > application need more a group of lines.
> >
> > Is this possible ?
>
> Fernando,
>
> You're talking about the TDS protocol itself, yes? Not dblib, ctlib, or
> ODBC? AFAIK, TDS never buffers a row. A result set row is on the server
> until you fetch it. When you fetch it, it leaves the server and comes to
> the client.
>
> My answer assumes you want to fetch the rows in order, 1..N. If you want
> to skip rows or read them out of order, things get more interesting.
>
> HTH.
>
> --jkl

Hello,

I'm talking about TDS, pure TDS. When I send a statment(0x01) to
server immediately I beginning to receive all lines sequentially until the
end. The ser don't wait by my fetch, it send me all lines.
I want know if I can send a statment that return 100.000 lines and
while I fetch any lines by time I can send outher satament and process
both simultaneously. Can I do this ?

Regards!