freetds - poor performance thru the firewall

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Chris Waidele" <chris AT creditguard.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: poor performance thru the firewall
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:34:52 -0500

Greetings,

We have successfully installed our secured apache server with php and
freetds (with special thanks to Mr. Cameron), and have had success
creating a web interface to query our database. When the
apache/php/freetds machine is on the local lan, connections and queries
are completed with very little latency. When we move the box into the
dmz(after changing it's ip address) it takes about 40 seconds to make a
connection to the database.

To solve this I have done the following with out success:

modified internal firewall rules to accept everything
added the appropriate entries in the appropriate hosts files
manipulated network configurations to where there is very, very little
latency when I do traceroutes and tracerts between the machines in
question.

I'm still pursuing this as a network issue, but I don't have enough
experience with freetds to entirely rule it out.

Thanks in advance