freetds - Re: infinite loop in odbctest

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: infinite loop in odbctest
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 13:21:56 -0500

TDS 4.2 transfers data using a single byte character set as specified by
the client. One can pass different character sets and the SQL Server will
attempt to use that set.

TDS 7.0 on the other hand has no notion of a character set, everything is
passed as UCS-2 (2 byte unicode). By default the FreeTDS driver strips
the high order byte which leaves something resembling the iso_1 charset.
If all your data in the nchar field is western character set compatible,
then don't worry and you're all set. If on the other hand you have
character data outside of that range (greek, arabic, CJKV) you'll need to
accomadate that data on a unix system. That's where the 'client charset'
comes in.

Even if you store nothing but english text in a unicode column, you still
can't query it with TDS 4.2 (well, you can run convert() on it...but that
is another story), TDS 7.0 is the only protocol version that supports it.

So, that's why TDS 4.2 wasn't working for you, now TDS 7.0 is a different
matter all together...i need to go double check what the story was there.

Brian