freetds - Re: Two databases, same name, different IPs?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Two databases, same name, different IPs?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:40:02 -0800

James Cameron writes:
> Just struck an oddity.
>
> We have just grabbed a copy of our production database, stuck it on
> another box, with a new IP address, and I cannot figure out how to tell
> the freetds.conf file or interfaces how to connect to the different IP
> address and yet use the same database name.
>
> Or am I just really confused?

Don't confuse "servers" and "databases".

A server can have multiple databases...

The freetds.conf (or interfaces) file simply maps logical "server"
names to an ip/port combination. The name in the freetds.conf can be
anything you want, and doesn't have to be the name that the server
itself thinks it has.

Michael
mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net