freetds - text data type fields end with garbage character

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Pim Zandbergen" <freetds-list AT macroscoop.nl>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: text data type fields end with garbage character
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 07:34:16 -0400

I'm using Red Hat 7.0 with these RPM's:
php-4.0.4pl1-3 (rebuilt to include unixODBC support)
unixODBC-1.8.13-2
freetds-0.52-1

This is my /etc/freetds/freetds.conf:
[global]
tds version = 4.2
initial block size = 512
swap broken dates = no
swap broken money = no
try server login = yes
try domain login = no
nt domain = MACROSCOOP
cross domain login = no

[duchamp]
host = duchamp
port = 1433
tds version = 7.0

When I access an MS SQL 7.0 database on duchamp, fields with data
type "text" have a single garbage character at the end.

This happens both with PHP as with isql, the command line
query tool that comes with unixODBC.

It does not happen when I use a DSN configured to use OpenLink
in stead of freetds.

I also tried the latest snapshot release, built with
--with-tds-version=7.0. Using tds version 7.0 it dumps
core. Using tds version 4.2 it works, but the problem remains.

The FAQ mentions that for data type "ntext" sometimes the last
character is lost. My problem seems to be the other way around.

  • text data type fields end with garbage character, Pim Zandbergen, 09/04/2001