freetds - ODBC and system DSNs

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steve Langasek <vorlon AT netexpress.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: ODBC and system DSNs
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:05:53 -0500 (CDT)

Oh heck, why wait for bug reports to trickle in when I can generate some of my
own?

I have unixodbc 2.0.8 and FreeTDS 0.52 installed (with handy
auto-registration of FreeTDS as an ODBC driver). I have two
identically-configured DSNs; one is a system DSN, one is a user DSN.

The results of each are as follows:

$ isql CobbleStreet_user username password
fgets: File exists
| Connected! |
| |
| sql-statement |
| help [tablename] |
| quit |
| |

$ isql CobbleStreet_sys username password
Couldn't find DSN /home/vorlon/.odbc.ini in CobbleStreet_sys
LookupDSN: LoadDSN returned FALSE[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
$

I would be inclined to immediately point the finger at unixodbc, except that
I've verified that system DSNs work fine when using MyODBC as the driver.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I can dig deeper into this a bit later, but
figured I'd check first if anyone here saw an obvious solution to the problem.

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

  • ODBC and system DSNs, Steve Langasek, 07/25/2001