freetds - Re: Sybase Anywhere 5.5 on NT to PHP on linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase Anywhere 5.5 on NT to PHP on linux
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:52:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Richard Brown wrote:

> thank you vary much.
>
> I am running several production databases on sybase anywhere 5.5.00 ( i
> will
> updagrade to .03) can the production system be running using sybase
> clients and my php 4.0 connection at the same time.

If I understand your question correctly you mean, can you windows client
continue to use the native ODBC drivers (which speak the watcom
protocol) as well as freetds accessing it remotely. Then, yes, this is
the exact configuration my client uses.

Now, a word of warning, I've had some trouble with the gateway going
incommunicato at times. Not sure if it's an NT problem or a Sybase ASA
problem.

> Can I dowload a driver (binary) for iodbc( i have this installed on php.4.0)

You'll have to compile freetds using the --with-iodbc option (see the
users guide on freetds.org for details). You will need to use the
CVS version to do it, 0.51 is not enough. Once compiled and installed you
can modify your odbc.ini and point to the driver without recompiling PHP
or iODBC.

Oh, and one more thing. Configure FreeTDS either using the default
protocol version or explicitly set it to --with-tdsver=5.0, version 4.2
will *not* work, or at least I couldn't get it to.

> I really want to thank you. I have work on this for weeks.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions along the way, just shout.

Brian