freetds - Re: documentation update and musing

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: documentation update and musing
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 00:24:00 +0000

Brian & Bob,

Thanks for the faq feedback; happy to oblige. I think it's better, now, too.

I also added http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#19.

Brian Bruns wrote:

> the ODBC driver is no longer 'rudimentary'.

done.

> point out that libtdssrv will do the trick for some applications.

done.

> Somewhere, maybe section 1.3, we need to add a comment about when people
> may want to use TDS 7, even though we say it is less stable than 4.2

I removed the comment. You're right, we should say what we mean, if we know
what that
is. :) Do you still think 4.2 is "more stable" than 7.0 connecting to a
7.0-capable
server? Anyway, that should be in UG, yes?

> Section 1.6 is way out of date, an import of the AUTHORS file seems to be
> in order.

done.

> You may want to look at the number on section 1.8, people may be trying to
> unsubscribe you ;-)

thanks.

> Section 3.1-3 as a whole probably needs to refer to the UG,

done.

> Section 6 looks great. Good job!

thanks!

> The other thing is we probably should say something about the connection
> pooling stuff...don't know where though.

Don't know enough to do this, but would of course be happy to add someone
else's
write-up, in my usual editorly way.

Bob Kline wrote:

> Here's another contribution for consideration as an addition
> to the FAQ document (perhaps after 3.8, "How can I test my FreeTDS JDBC
> Driver?"). The attached document ...

Thanks, Bob. I converted you doc to html (with my own perl script. What's
the right
way?). Breaking with tradition, I moved it to its own document, because it's
so
big/thorough it would have made navigating the FAQ harder.

--jkl
FreeTDS FAQmaster.