freetds - Re: Can't compile ANY version, need help

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Wood <cwood AT wencor.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Can't compile ANY version, need help
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:55:05 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

I started digging into the "make" version I'm running, as you suggested.
One of my co-workers has a binary of make 3.78.1 off in his own little
area. It's not in the path anywhere, but I can path to it and compile
0.51 without any errors, but I still get a symbol referencing error like
below (I assume I'm missing a library I need to include). I might be able
to figure out which library is missing, but still have two questions.

Questions:

1. Can I simply path to the make without it being in the path? Won't
"configure" have trouble testing things if it isn't the default compiler?

2. How do I tell ./configure about the new libs?

Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
socket ../.libs/libtds.so
connect ../.libs/libtds.so
gethostbyname ../.libs/libtds.so
getservbyname ../.libs/libtds.so
inet_ntoa ../.libs/libtds.so
inet_addr ../.libs/libtds.so
UX:ld: ERROR: .libs/t0001: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No
output written to .libs/t0001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, James K. Lowden wrote:

> Chris Wood wrote:
>
> > 0.51 gives a file not found for two *.la files, but it doesn't give any
> > syntax errors. If I remove lib_LTLIBRARIES = libct.la in
> > src/ctlib/Makefile and lib_LTLIBRARIES = libsybdb.la in
> > src/dblib/Makefile, it will compile but it fails the tests.
>
> Chris,
>
> I am *not* a Gnuru, but I can tell you libct.la is an output of libtool, so
> your
> problem starts earlier. Here are the contents of one from 5.0:
> -- snip --
> # libct.la - a libtool library file
> # Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.3.3 (1.385.2.181 1999/07/02
> 15:49:11)
> #
> # Please DO NOT delete this file!
> # It is necessary for linking the library.
>
> # The name that we can dlopen(3).
> dlname=''
>
> # Names of this library.
> -- snip --
>
> Just to check the oil: Are you using gmake? Mine's version 3.79.1. Did
> everything
> really go swimmingly until libct.la wasn't found?
>
> > Do the coders read this list? I'd hate to bother them by email
> >

> You know the advice about teaching pig to sing? It won't work and it
> annoys the
> pig. Anyone who'll help you reads this list.
>
> The fellow who can best answer your question hasn't been around lately,
> probably
> wooed by money or some other similarly base cause. But my bet is the
> Makefile is
> fine and the problem is environmental.
>
> --jkl
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [cwood AT wencor.com]

Chris Wood Kitco, Inc. Dixie Aerospace
801-489-2097 Wencor West, Inc. Durham Aircraft Serv.