freetds - Re: dynamic SQL and NUMERIC problems

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dynamic SQL and NUMERIC problems
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:20:19 -0800 (PST)

Eric Deutsch writes:

> Hi, I recently started using DBD::Sybase and FreeTDS to access some
> data on a MSSQL Server with good results, but have a few minor issues,
> and I'd like to find out if anyone can help with them.

> 1) I cannot use dynamic INSERTs, e.g.:
> $sth = $dbh->prepare ("SELECT * FROM dbaccesstests WHERE test_id >
> ?");
> $sth->bind_param (1,1)
> I get:Panic: dynamic SQL (? placeholders) are not supported by the
> server you are connecting to

> I'm guessing that maybe dynamic SQL just hasn't been implemented in
> FreeTDS,
> but can anyone give an authoritative answer on this? Might it be
> soon?

Correrct - FreeTDS has not implemented the ct_dynamic() (and friends)
API calls. In addition you must use the TDS 7 protocol for this to
work (placeholders don't work with TDS 4.x).

> 2) I thought I once read a message about this problem somewhere, but cannot
> find it now, so apologize for bringing it up again. Results returned for
> a columntype of NUMERIC seems to truncate the last digit.

I don't know what this is, but I've not seen it when using the Sybase
libraries, so I suspect a FreeTDS problem.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler AT peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler AT mbay.net