freetds - Re: Timestamp fields.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Uckun <tim AT diligence.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Timestamp fields.
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:06:48 -0700

At 10:35 AM 2/27/2001 -0800, you wrote:
Errmmm... you do realize that a timestamp column is a binary(8) and
that it has no relation to either time or date, right?

Yes I do.
It's not that I use them for anything but they exist in just about all of my tables because they were upsized from access. Because of that anytime I do a select * from anytable php crashes. I know it's not good form to do select * queries but alas I have inherited a complex web site with a ton of these.

BTW: According to the books online the timestamp datatype can be cast as just about anything except nvarchar, nchar, ntext and text.
I don't know how useful it is but there it is. For example

cast(upsize_ts as integer) as TS from tblreports where reportno=881211

gives you 34913591

I have no idea what this means but I bet there is a use for it.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler AT peppler.org
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler - mpeppler AT mbay.net