freetds - Strange views problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Barnard Foo" <foo AT vircom.com.au>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Strange views problem
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:44:42 -0500

I am using the FreeTDS libraries with Perl and DBD::Sybase on
a Linux machine to connect to a MS SQL Server database running on NT.
All queries run fine, except in one instance.

We actually have two databases, on two NT servers, both running MS SQL
Server. One database has a view to the other one. If I compose a
query that involves this view, I get an error message. (See end of post).
The same query will work fine in Query Analyser, running on a Windows
client though. The query also works with DBD::Proxy, but unfortuantely
I need to get the FreeTDS stuff working because of some other applications
that will work with Sybase only.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might have.

Error message follows:

DBD::Sybase:st execute failed: Server message number=8501 severity=16
state=1 line=3 server=SERVER_1 procedure=XXXX text=MSDTC on server
'SERVER_1' is unavailable. Server message number=7391 severity=16 state=1
line=3 server=SERVER_2 procedure=XXXX text=The operation could not be
performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' does not support
distributed transactions at /var/www/cgi-bin/xxxx line 160

  • Strange views problem, Barnard Foo, 02/06/2001