freetds - Re: FreeTDS under VMS (changes suggestion)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FreeTDS under VMS (changes suggestion)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:11:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, James Cameron wrote:

> "Ruslan R. Laishev" wrote:
> > It need to add length for an every string parameter and it's all.
>
> That's right. Or ask the authors of the package how they would solve
> the problem of having to use strlen() on the returned strings?
>
> I suggest that you identify the function calls on which this is critical
> (i.e. not the login sequence but the return of data from the SQL server)
> and suggest a way to solve it. You might have already done this with
> your patch, but I couldn't work it out, because it wasn't in UNIX diff
> format. I'll have another look.
>
> Right, I see what you are doing. You are adding the column length to
> the tds_column_info struct. That will help.

The problem is that tds_column_info is used once per query. Hardly a
signifigant amount of overhead. The real gain to be had would be to
alter the row buffer so it stored the size there.

Adding it there would bring the most benefit and would be easily #ifdef'd
so only VMS would suffer the increase in bloat (1 byte per string per
row in row buffer).

I'm not altogether opposed to adding the byte to tds_column_info (lord
knows we have enough crap there already), but by itself it doesn't really
buy you anything.

Brian