freetds - Delay closing resultsets

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Fernando Lozano <fsl AT centroin.com.br>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Delay closing resultsets
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:32:37 -0300

Hi there!

I am using the freetds jdbc driver for an application that queries
MS SQL Server 7 on a WAN. My application requires searches that
returns thousands of rows such as like 'name%' queries.

Most of the time my users will see the first dozens of rows and then
quit to a more refined search, but it looks like the freetds jdbc
driver conties to fetch all rows when I close it. The result is a
big delay (which can be of several minutes) when the user wants to
try another search. Using Connection.cancel() has the same result.

Is this a bug of the driver, some feature not yet implemented, or
what? The only workaround I got so far is to call
Statement.setMaxRows(), but this way the user won't be able to see
all results, and this is not desirable.

Any hints will be very apreciated.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

  • Delay closing resultsets, Fernando Lozano, 09/29/2000