freetds - SQL Length limitations on insert

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Rusty Conover <rconover AT zootweb.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SQL Length limitations on insert
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:11:21 -0600

FreeTDSers,

I'm experiencing some trouble with FreeTDS and an insert statement that is
over
512 bytes in length being sent properly to a MSSQL 7.0 Server. I am using
FreeTDS version 0.5 with TDS version 7.0 compiled.

The situation is that there is a varchar column with a width of 6000 bytes and
I'm trying to put 4000+ bytes into it in a single SQL query. TDS only
successfully processes a query length of 504 (due to the eight bytes header I
assume)
bytes total. The actual number of bytes that make it into the column depends
on
the actual length of the SQL since it seems that there is a 504 byte hard
limit to
the SQL query to be successfully processed. I have traced through the write.c
code and have noted that the last packet indicator is being set correctly.
The
problem is that the row never appears in the SQL server.

Has anybody run into this problem before?

Rusty
Rusty Conover | rusty AT zootweb.com
Systems Programmer | 406-586-5050 x242
Zoot Enterprises | http://www.zootweb.com

"Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit." -- Seneca