freetds - Re: TDS 7.0 protocol bug?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TDS 7.0 protocol bug?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:09:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Firstly, TDS 4.2 will work with any version of either Sybase or MS SQL
Servers.
However, certain functions are not supported under 4.2 (some cursor stuff
under sybase, unicode and long varchars under MS). So, 4.2 may indeed work
for you if you don't need either of those. More likely the problem with TDS
7.0 is an endian issue. Please set the TDSDUMP env variable and forward the
log to me.

Brian

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Victor Tsang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to use FreeTDS 0.5 dblib in Apple Darwin (FYI, Darwin is the base of
> Apple's
> MacOS X which is port from BSD 4.4) to connect to MSSQL 7.
>
> Here is the parameters I used in the configuration:
> ./configure --host=powerpc-apple-bsd --with-tdsver=7.0 --enable-msdblib
>
> My test program failed upon dbopen() with "Unknown marker 0!!" error
> message. In my NT
> box, the SQLTrace catch an error "Error: 17832, Severity 18, State: 6..."
> saying that
> the login packet is invalid.
>
> However, if I configure the freetds --with-tdsver=4.2 instead of 7.0, the
> test program
> works fine... but the server is SQL7, and the freetds doc said it is not
> supposed to
> work.
>
> I don't think it is my config error (I noticed some #ifdef freeBSD stuff in
> tds code),
> otherwise, tds 4.2 should be very likely failed to work. Does it already
> have a patch
> on this issue (inside CVS)? Or the TDS 7.0 protocol is still under hacking?
>

> --
>
> Victor Tsang
>
> victor.tsang AT ieee.org
> http://home.netvigator.com/~vyftsang
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: camber AT ais.org

  • TDS 7.0 protocol bug?, Victor Tsang, 04/22/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: TDS 7.0 protocol bug?, Brian Bruns, 04/22/2000