freetds - RE: Linux(PHP) + MSSQL 7 (NT)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bill Doulass" <bill AT tcada.state.tx.us>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: RE: Linux(PHP) + MSSQL 7 (NT)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:24:47

My experience has been with Red Hat 6.1 with PHP3 and Apache 1.3.9, FreeTDS
0.5, MS SQL 7. The following are some of the helpful things I've learned
(hopefully others will contribute their hard-won knowledge as well):

1) Make sure SQL Server 7 has SQL Server and NT authentication turned on

2) Connect to SQL Server with a userid local to SQL Server, not an NT
domain username

3) Stick with TDSVER=42 for the time being. Less buggy than 70, and
conversions from other data types seems to work well.

4) Keep a backup httpd handy in case you run into problems with locating
run-time libs. The docs discuss this, but I was dumb enough to run into
this problem anyway.

5) Have someone with Query Analyzer on an NT box verify your queries. It
helps to eliminate SQL Server and data errors before you start debugging
what went wrong in your PHP script.

6) Have sqsh compiled on your web server, to give you an alternate source
for generating SQL queries. This can also help pinpoint problems when
debugging PHP scripts.

Good luck.