freetds - Re: JDBC 2.0 / moveToInsertRow() gives abstractMethodException

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC 2.0 / moveToInsertRow() gives abstractMethodException
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:06:37 -0700 (MST)

It sounds like you are using a driver that was compiled for 1.0. If
you compile the driver with JDK 1.1.x it won't have any of the JDBC
2.0 features available. You will have to change the makefile and
recompile to get any of the 2.0 features.

moveToInsertRow and most of the other 2.0 features will just throw an
SQLException right now. It isn't likely that most 2.0 features will
be added any time soon. There are a few complete morons at Sun that
don't have the slightest clue about what relational databases do and
what they are for. 2.0 makes an implicit requirement that your
database acts like main memory. The 2.0 features pretty much require
that all rows in a result set can be stored in main memory.

Simply put, most of the 2.0 enhancements can't be implemented cleanly
and reliably on a relational database.

Sorry about the rant, I just get a little angry everytime I read the
"JDBC 2.0 API" document.

Michael Lantzen writes:
> Hi,
>
> when i try to use moveToInsertRow i get a abstractMethodException. Is the
> FreeTDS driver not 2.0 compilant or what could cause this?
>
> bye
> Michael
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: cts AT internetcds.com

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.