freetds - sp_help problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: sp_help problem
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 12:12:54 -0500 (EST)

Is it a known problem that sp_help <tablename> doesn't return all the
information sent back by the server when using freetds (5.0)? If TDSVER
is set to 70 the first few pieces of information (table name, owner,
type, creation date) come back and then many lines of unknown markers;
here's some examples:

Unknown marker: 231!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 1!!
Unknown marker: 10!!
Unknown marker: 105!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 110!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 100!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 101!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 120!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 95!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 110!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
Unknown marker: 97!!
Unknown marker: 0!!
[... continues on line this for quite a few lines ...]

If TDSVER is set to 42 the same first few pieces of information come
back, followed by some blank lines. The real output for sp_help
<tablename> includes lots more information, such as column information,
indexes, constraints, etc. sp_help is a stored procedure which (I
assume) executes multiple queries in MS SQL (7.0 in this case), and I'm
guessing that freetds (or maybe DBD::Sybase, which I'm using over it)
doesn't yet know what to do with a multiple result-set stored procedure.
Is this a reasonable guess? And if so, any idea if such support is in
the works?

Thanks!

Bob Kline

  • sp_help problem, Bob Kline, 12/29/1999