freetds - Re: freetds JDBC + Stack Overflow Error

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bob Kline <bkline AT rksystems.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds JDBC + Stack Overflow Error
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:44:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Steve Sherwood wrote:

> Using the lastest version of the freetds JDBC drivers.
>
> Bit complex this. Using MSSQL7, I have a stored procedure like
> the following :-
>
> BEGIN TRANSACTION
> DECLARE @LOWER int, @UPPER int, @COUNT
> SET @LOWER=0
> SET @UPPER=0
>
> SET @COUNT=0
> WHILE (@COUNT < 255)
> BEGIN
> INSERT INTO subnet VALUES (@COUNT, <data>)
> SET @COUNT = @COUNT+1
> END
> COMMIT TRANSACTION
>
> Then in my Java code I call this
> Statement s = connection.createStatement();
> s.execute("EXEC StoredProc");
> s.close();
>
> I get the exception :-
>
> [28/10/1999 16:24:34:609 GMT+01:00] java.lang.StackOverflowError
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.TdsComm.skip(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processDoneInProc(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processSubPacket(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processSubPacket(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processDoneInProc(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processSubPacket(Compiled Code)
> at com.internetcds.jdbc.tds.Tds.processSubPacket(Compiled Code)
> ...etc (lots of lines removed - Possibly 255 sets)
>
> I can decrease the count to about 124 and then the exception
> goes away. I'm assuming it's something to do with multiple
> rowsets, but I can't find a way around it.
>
> Anyone help ?

I don't understand why any result sets would be produced by the
procedure at all if the only SQL queries are INSERT statements. So it's
hard to see how a change which should be completely transparent to the
client (that's why we use servers, right?) could have such an effect.

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline AT rksystems.com