freetds - Re: JDBC driver update

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Toth <mike AT spiralcraft.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC driver update
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:03:08 +0000

Hello,

I use the freetds_jdbc driver on an everyday basis, and have made some
mods to support TEXT fields using setString() and some fixes for
setObject() not working.

I would like to synchronize these fixes with the standard distribution,
but the make system and package layout are somewhat inconvenient. Due to
the fact that the classes are declared to be in packages named
com.internetcds.jdbc.tds and in com.internetcds.util, but are not in
directories com/internetcds/jdbc/tds and com/internetcds/util, the standard
javac dependency check doesn't work, and I must reorganize the
distribution. This prevents me from working with the CVS tree causes me to
have to fork instead of merge.

If you change the distribution so that the .java files are in appropriate
subdirectories according to their package names, it would be easier for
anyone who follows this convention to work with the source and still stay
in synch with each other.

Your makefile can simply perform a javac *.java in each subdirectory, and
dependency checking will happen automatically. This is much faster than
launching a VM for every file, as occurs with a traditional make. As an
alternative, I have a modified version of JMake which does in process
compiles and subdirectory recursion. The original can be found at:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ramsdell/make/edu/neu/ccs/jmk/index.html

Please let me know what you think about changing the package layout. It
would make it much easier for me to contribute my mods back into the package.

Thanks,
Mike

At 01:24 PM 9/29/99 -0600, you wrote:

>The ftp site for the CVS snapshots now contains a prebuilt JAR file
>for the JDBC driver.
>
>You may download it from
>
> ftp://freetds.internetcds.com/pub/freetds_jdbc/freetds_jdbc.snapshot.jar
>
>There is a script that run nightly that will update the snapshot JAR
>file when needed.
>
>I will be adding a freetds_jdbc-0.3.jar file soon.

  • JDBC driver update, Craig Spannring, 09/29/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: JDBC driver update, Michael Toth, 09/29/1999