freetds - Re: DBD::FreeTDS development status?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tim Tsai <tim AT futuresouth.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DBD::FreeTDS development status?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 04:27:47 -0500

> I have looked at this. I can't figure out how to make it work... I'm
> sure it's something simple, it just isn't clicking... :)

It was pretty straight forward for me (other than having to install the
latest version of perl - 5.003 was too old).

Install the latest DBI which includes the Proxy stuff (there are some
dependencies, notably PlRPC and Storable modules) on both the gateway and
on the client machine. Install DBD::Sybase on the gateway machine and
verify that it works. Run dbiproxy.

On the gateway, the call looks like this (your normal DBD::Sybase call):

$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:server=SERVER", "dbuser", "password");

On the proxy client, it looks like this:

$dbh =
DBI->connect("dbi:Proxy:hostname=gateway;port=port_no_of_dbiproxy;dsn=DBI:Sybase:server=SERVER",
"dbuser", "password");

This should be the only difference between the perl program on the
gateway machine (with native Sybase support) and the perl program on the
client.

Cool stuff. Our setup looks like this:

FreeBSD client (uses dbi:Proxy) -> Linux Sybase gateway (uses
dbi:ProxyServer and DBD::Sybase) -> Windows NT (MS SQL Server 6.5)

We haven't done anything significant yet though. After the FreeBSD
machine gets a hardware upgrade we'll be porting most of our perl scripts.

Tim