freetds - Re: HELP!!! Unknown marker problem!!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HELP!!! Unknown marker problem!!
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

The marker it is referring to is the first byte of a message, it
identifies the type of message, eg a result set, a row, a return status,
an informational or error message, etc...They can be fixed of variable
length and what happens is the previous message is handled incorrectly for
some reason (usually an unimplemented datatype or something we don't
understand about the protocol or a bug) so the next 'marker' read is
either in the previous message (in which case it may correct itself by
skipping things it doesn't recognize) or several bytes into the subsequent
message in which case it usually gets totally confused.

Can you post specific examples of the queries that cause this (along with
the ddl to build/populate needed tables please). And we might be able to
help.

Later versions (especially 0.45) should be more stable, but there were
also some big changes, so YMMV.

Brian