freetds - getBytes() failure with large blob in jdbc driver

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Beacon Hill & Associates, Inc." <bha AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: getBytes() failure with large blob in jdbc driver
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 5:45:20

Sorry if this is a newbie error, but I'm trying to read some fairly large
chunks of byte data out of a MS SQLServer (v6.5) using the FreeTDS JDBC
driver and the getBytes() call on a resultset. It works great for records
with a fairly small amout of data in the blob column (<1k), but when I try
to read larger byte arrays not all the data is returned and no error is
thrown. I traced into the code for getBytes(int) in ResultSet.java and
found the following lines that look suspect:

else if (tmp instanceof TdsAsciiInputStream) {
// XXX I'm not sure this is a legal conversion
result = ((TdsAsciiInputStream)tmp).toString().getBytes();
}

Has the JDBC Driver been updated lately? (I've looked on the FreeTDS site,
but couldn't find a newer version of the JDBC driver.)
Can anyone suggest a better way to store Java objects in a BLOB field with
FreeTDS?

Thanks,
Dan Rollo

  • getBytes() failure with large blob in jdbc driver, Beacon Hill & Associates, Inc., 07/25/1999