freetds - Re: Ever tried MSSQL 7.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Bruno Verachten <bverachten AT nordnet.fr>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ever tried MSSQL 7.0
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:33:18 +0200

Bill Tutt wrote:

> I take it you're referring to queries on the system tables?? (sysobjects,
> et. al..)

No, to the USER tables...
I try to make a query-builder tool, so I have to ask for the user tables
metadata,
with things like that:

DatabaseMetaData md = con.getMetaData();
String types[];
types = new String[4];
types[0] = "TABLE";
types[1] = "VIEW";
types[2] = "ALIAS";
types[3] = "SYNONYM";
ResultSet rs = md.getTables(null, "%", "%", types);

> Your message was decidedly unclear.

I know that... I'm not confident with english, so...

> How were you accessing the metadata
> before?

DatabaseMetaData md = con.getMetaData();
ResultSet rs = md.getColumns(null, schema, name, "%");

> If you were making direct queries on the system tables in 6.5 then you'll
> need to rewrite your queries to cope with the new system tables. Although
> I'd certainly recommend you using the views on top of the system tables
> instead of the system tables isntead. See books online for more info on
> the new system table views.

Thanks for your answer.

Bruno Verachten.