freetds - Re: OOB - how does it work

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OOB - how does it work
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:22:37 -0600 (MDT)

ark AT eltex.ru writes:

> nuqneH,
>
> Ok, i (at least i think so) solved my OOB problem.
> Short summary - how does OOB work in TDS 4:
> Cancel message has no data, just header:
>
> 0x06 "Cancel" message
> 0x01 the last and only fragment
> 0x00 \ message size is 8, nbo
> 0x08 /
> 0x00 \ channel is 0
> 0x00 /
> 0x01 pktnum is 1
> 0x00 window is 0, and _this byte_ is sent as OOB so you need
> setsockopt(..,SO_OOBINLINE..) to read it.

You don't want to send only the last byte OOB. The packet could get
fragmented and the OOB could conceivably be received before the rest
of the packet. I don't think SQL Server is going to like that.

For an example of cancel handling you might want to look at
CancelController.java in the freetds_jdbc driver.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Bike hard, ski fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.