freetds - Need help with stored procedures and Sybase

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Need help with stored procedures and Sybase
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:39:34 -0800 (PST)

I implemented PreparedStatements in FreeTDS JDBC driver with temporary
stored procedures for SQLServer. A temporary stored procedure is
created when the PreparedStatement is executed the first time and is
automatically cleaned up by SQLServer when the session is
disconnected.

Sybase does not allow temporary stored procedures. Are there any
Sybase experts out there that know of someway I can get the server to
automatically clean up (delete) a stored procedure when the session
that created it closes?

I had hoped to place a trigger on the master.dbo.sysprocesses table to
delete the stored procedures when the session was terminated, but
Sybase doesn't allow triggers to be placed on stored procedures.

I'm nearly at my wits end trying to find a good way to implement
PreparedStatements for Sybase. If anyone out there has any good
ideas, please let me know.

I don't want to just take the parameters and build an ad-hoc SQL
statement each time the statement is executed, but if I don't find a a
different way then I'll have to implement that. It would make the
driver slower when taking to Sybase than SQLServer and I hope to avoid
that.

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently perverted technology is indistinguishable from Perl.