freetds - Re: JDBC?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Greg <greg AT thecg.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JDBC?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:13:36 -0600

Craig Spannring wrote:

> Greg writes:
> > I'm not sure if this list is also for the FreeTDS-JDBC, but....
>
> I would say this list is fine, but I'm not exactly impartial.
> Generally bug reports should be sent to
> freetds-jdbc-bugs AT internetcds.com. It probably wouldn't hurt to CC
> them to this list as well.

Thanks for the info!

> > Are there any known problems with PreparedStatements and the
> > SybaseDriver.
>
> Yes. From the KNOWN_BUGS file-

Doh! Maybe I'll learn how to *look* and *read* first! Sorry...

> PreparedStatements don't work for Sybase. The PreparedStatement
> is implemented with temporary stored procedures for the
> SQLServer. Sybase doesn't seem to support temporary names
> for stored procedures.
>
> I implemented PreparedStatements by creating stored procedures with
> temporary names. It works fine on SQLServer, but doesn't work on
> Sybase.

Hmm. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Maybe use stored procedures with
FREETDS as a
prefix? No big rush, as PreparedStatements aren't a necessity; but it sure
saves the
coder from having to ensure proper string conventions (escaping quotes,
etc...)

BTW, I'm quite pleased with the JDBC driver -- hey, it's free - I can't
complain. It
sure beats doling out a ton of money to other companies with slower drivers.
I'm
using your driver for a couple of projects I'm doing. They're web based with
Apache,
Apache-JServ (java-servlets), and Sybase ASE and all is working quite well --
and
fast.

Thanks!

Greg

  • JDBC?, Greg, 01/19/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: JDBC?, Craig Spannring, 01/19/1999
    • Re: JDBC?, Greg, 01/20/1999