freetds - Re: freetds digest: September 25, 1998

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Stephan Nagy <snagy AT pdq.net>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: freetds digest: September 25, 1998
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:45:36 -0500

"m. allan noah" wrote:

> all- please excuse my spelling and my ignorance of this subject...
>
> but, i have been on searching for a way to connect my NT 4.0 server
> running M$$QL 6.5 to the box that fire-walls it, a RH5.0, 2.0.35 kerneled
> (is that a word :) box. the ntserver is masqueraded, so i can provide the
> best protection.
>
> i am interested in exctly why there are so many client
> library options for connection to sybase from linux, and why there is a
> need for freetds. does CTLib not provide the same functionality
> (regardless of copyright or src code?)
>
> on a side note:
> i cannot get anything CTLib related (SQSH, SYBPERL, dbd:sybase) to compile
> on the piece of shit RH
> machine, but those ASE rpms were very well done. i have been told this is
> cause of glibc2 (libc6?) interaction with CTLib but it seems that all
> distro's are going to that.
> will freetds work properly with these libs, as that seems to be the only
> reason to put effort into it?
>
> side note two: has any thought been given to making freetds an ODBC driver
> instead of a drop-in replacement for CTLIB/dblib? i realize linux users
> are not going to follow any protocol that comes from redmond, but odbc is
> a very useful model. openlink includes ke lin's iODBC manager, it is GPL'd
> though. the DBI stuff in perl is great to work with, and it seems that the
> ODBC CLI would be just as good for the C programmer (correct me if i am
> wrong, perl is my primary language)
>
> this seems like a good oportunity to push the ODBC as a viable LINUX
> solution. Samba has shown that interoperability is more important than
> turf wars, and the open-source model means we will eventually do it better
> than M$. the other option is to write freetds to support sqsh, which has
> not been updated in 10months?
>
> sorry if i dont know what i am talking about, just ignore me
> allan noah
> sysadmin
> pfeiffer university
> __
> ___________________/ |_______________
> /__________________/ |____just_ask___\
> // / |_ _____ ____ \\
> // //////// ////// , | | |_ _/ ___| \\
> || // // // / /| | |/ /| || |___ ||
> || // //////// / /_| / | | ||___ | ||
> || // // // / ___ / /| |_| | ___| | ||
> \\ // // //////__/ |/_/ |_|____|____/ //
> \\______________________________________//
> \___BOLD_AS_LOVE_______________________/
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: $subst('PurgeID')

There was a problem with the libc/glibc in redhat 5.0 that produced
incompatibilities with ctlib. What you need to do is either download for
free 5.1
from redhat or buy the 5.1 cd and install/upgrade your machine, once you do
this
everything should work fine. I have the ctlib stuff working on about 6
machines
right now redhat 2 4.0 machines and 4 5.1 machines.

-stephan