freetds - Re: Sybase or MS?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: Jamison.Stepan AT state.mn.us
  • Subject: Re: Sybase or MS?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

I would imagine most people interested in FreeTDS need it for
TDS version 4.2. Sybase seems interested in supporting JDBC
and certain Unix platforms. Microsoft seems to have no interest
supporting anything but native Win32.

5.0 is a much nicer protocol to implement, but my interest lies with
SQLServer. Besides that, I don't have access to any Sybase servers or
clients so I really can't assist much on 5.0 issues.

BTW- I've been working on a type 4 JDBC driver for TDS 4.2 the last
few weeks. If you want I can mail you a sneak peek.

The status of the driver so far is-

CallableStatement-

Have implemented the constructor, and execute(). executeQuery()
and executeUpdate(), clearParamenters() are inherited.

Only a limited number of data types are implemented for
parameters.

Connection -

Have implemented the constructor, prepareStatement(),
createStatement(), prepareCall(), getMetaData().

DatabaseMetaData-

Only the constructor is implemented.

Driver-

Fully implemented.

PreparedStatement-

Have implemented the constructor, clearParameters(), execute(),
executeCall(), executeQuery(), setDate(), setDouble(),
setFloat(), setInt(), setLong(), setString().

Only a limited number of data types are implemented for
parameters.

ResultSet-

Have implemented the constructor, close(), findColumn(),
getBigDecimal(), getByte(), getBytes(), getDouble(), getFloat(),
getInt(), getLong(), getMetaData(), getString(),
getTimestamp(), next(), wasNull().

getObject() is partially implemented.

ResultSetMetaData-

Have implemented getColumnCount(), getColumnDisplaySize(),
getColumnLabel(), getColumnName(), getColumnType(),
getColumnTypeName(), isCurrency().

Statement-

Have implemented the constructor, executeQuery(),
executeUpdate(), close(), execute(), getResultSet(),
getUpdateCount(), getMoreResults().

cancel() is partially implemented.

Stepan, Jamison writes:
> I would love to see a TDS jdbc driver. Thanks to MS buying old tech (4.2
> TDS) the jConnect stuff will not work.
>
> Jamison

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently perverted technology is indistinguishable from Perl.