fingerlakespermaculture - Coming Up at Groundswell Center: Preparing for Climate Change, Draft Animal Workshop, and Farming for Justice

  • From: Kate Cardona <kate AT groundswellcenter.org>
  • To: SUSTAINABLE_TOMPKINS-L AT list.cornell.edu, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Coming Up at Groundswell Center: Preparing for Climate Change, Draft Animal Workshop, and Farming for Justice
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:06:48 -0500

PLEASE SHARE WIDELY
Coming Up at Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming!

Farming for Justice:
Wednesday, January 17th 9:00AM-10:30AM
Groundswell Center, 225 South Fulton Street, Ithaca NY, Free!

Farming for Justice is a new monthly meeting for farmers, food producers, and land workers interested in digging into the intersection of food, agriculture and social justice. What role do we see ourselves playing in racial/economic justice work? What are the barriers we face and how can we support each other to step further into action? Through dialogue, education and action planning, we'll begin to explore the answers.

This Month's Topic: Farming and Labor. RSVP Here.

******

Saturday, February 3rd, 9:00AM - 2:00PM
Just BeCause Center, 1013 West State Street, Ithaca NY
Facilitated by Mike Biltonen (Know Your Roots) and Jay Smith (Ithaca EcoVillage)
Cost: sliding scale $25 - $50

Climate change has been affecting our farms for several decades now, and the science and data show that there will continue to be dramatic impacts on every farmer’s ability to grow and distribute food. Agriculture is one of our greatest tools for reducing and even potentially reversing the effects of modern industrial society on our global climate, but it’s also one of the greatest contributors to climate change. Something has to give. Come learn about how we can work together as a community to increase stability and security in local food production!

******

Beginning Teamster Workshop: Working With Draft Horses
With the Cornell Small Farms Program, Equicenter of Rochester, and Draft Animal Power Network
February 17th 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Oxley Equestrian Center, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
Cost: $40 for Veterans, Immigrants and Refugees, $80 for the general public
*Please bring a bag lunch!*

In this workshop we aim to give participants a full day of experiencing what is like to work with draft animals.  We will focus on what keeps us safe, what we gain from work with drafts, and how we can make them fit into profitable farms and businesses. We want folks to get their hands on the animals, the harnesses, and the lines and see what it is like. Depending on interest and demand we are considering future programs on using draft in Agriculture and logging.

Schedule, Scholarship Info and Registration Here

--
Kate Cardona
Equity, Outreach and Course Coordinator

  • Coming Up at Groundswell Center: Preparing for Climate Change, Draft Animal Workshop, and Farming for Justice, Kate Cardona, 01/12/2018