fingerlakespermaculture - Collecting Ash Seed Workshop, CCE Tompkins, Tues May 19

  • From: "Chrys B. Gardener" <cab69 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: "Fingerlakes Permaculture List (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org) (fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org)" <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Collecting Ash Seed Workshop, CCE Tompkins, Tues May 19
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 15:30:00 +0000

Collecting Ash Seed for Preservation
Tuesday May 19 , 6:30-8:30 pm
CCE Tompkins, 615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca NY
Free!

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has announced that Emerald Ash Borer Awareness Week is May 18-24. If you are concerned about this invasive insect and the threat to our native ash trees, then please consider attending a free workshop on collecting ash seed at CCE on Tuesday May 19 from 6:30-8:30 pm.

The participants of this workshop will be introduced to the protocol for collecting ash seed, learn how to identify ash species and learn about preserving genetic diversity through seed. It is our hope that the information you gain from this workshop will result in your contribution of ash seed collections to both the Mid-Atlantic Regional Seed Bank (MARSB) and the National Ash Conservation Project. Ash trees don't produce seed every year, but this spring the ash trees are flowering and it looks like this will be a good year for collecting seed

Native seed collection is imperative for the preservation, conservation and reclamation of plant communities in decline. Faced with the loss of ash (Fraxinus) species as a result of the Emerald Ash Borer, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Seed Bank and the USFS National Seed Lab are collecting ash seed across New York State for preservation. Collecting seed is a fast and inexpensive way to preserve germplasm. By conserving the genetic diversity of ash species before the populations are lost, we have more opportunities to adequately restore the species to the landscape once a successful biological control is found.

This workshop is your opportunity to become involved in an unique and exciting regional seed collection network. We are eager to create permanent relationships with botanists and naturalists interested in native seed collection. We hope to see you on May 19th!

This workshop is free, but spaces are limited. Please call 272-2292 or email cab69 AT cornell.edu to register. For more information visit ccetompkins.org/events

Chrys Gardener
Commercial/Community Horticulture Educator
Cornell Cooperative Extension - Tompkins County
615 Willow Avenue, Ithaca NY 14850
(607)272-2292, extension 241
www.ccetompkins.org

  • Collecting Ash Seed Workshop, CCE Tompkins, Tues May 19, Chrys B. Gardener, 05/13/2015