fingerlakespermaculture - Seeking Permaculture Farm Intern/Apprentice, Mecklenburg NY

  • From: Steve Gabriel <steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu>, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, upstatenypermaculture AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Seeking Permaculture Farm Intern/Apprentice, Mecklenburg NY
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:04:39 -0500

From: Elizabeth Gabriel <elizabethrgabriel AT gmail.com>
Date: February 26, 2015 11:24 AM
To: Northeast Permaculture <northeasternpermaculture AT lists.riseup.net>

Seeking Permaculture Farm Intern/Apprentice for 2015 season

Wellspring Forest Farm, Mecklenburg NY

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: farmers AT wellspringforestfarm.com.

Questions can also be directed to this address.

Elizabeth and Steve Gabriel, owners of Wellspring Forest Farm, are seeking a part-time apprentice (15-20 hours/week) from mid May – early September (exact dates are flexible) who is enthusiastic about working with zone 1 and 2 gardens, plants and animals. Though this person will learn about and help with all farm and homestead systems, main responsibilities include planting, maintenance, harvest and preservation of vegetables, herbs, fruit trees and berries, as well as assisting with care and management of our sheep and duck flocks.

The ideal candidate has some vegetable gardening or farming experience, with at least a strong interest in permaculture. This position will regularly some involvement with all of the happenings on the farm that may include inoculating or harvesting mushrooms, packaging and delivering duck eggs, processing and preserving food and medicine, health management of sheep or ducks, planting or pruning trees, etc.  Person should be comfortable following directions, working both with others and independently and able to be physically active and outside most of the day.

Wellspring Forest Farm is a developing permaculture farm and homestead. Our established farm systems include woodland grown shiitake and oyster mushrooms, ducks that rotationally graze pasture and woods and produce duck eggs, a herd of sheep, tree crops, maple syrup, swales and water management and zone 1 and 2 vegetable and medicinal gardens.  We also host and teach multiple classes and workshops on the farm each year. We actively observe and develop our farm and this year plan to complete the construction of a greenhouse, develop a co-grazing plan for ducks and sheep as a method for parasite reduction, enhance our zone 1 and 2 gardens and build a 2nd pond and swale.

2 Wellspring apprentices will share a small outdoor kitchen, hot outdoor shower, composting toilet, small shed for storage of minimal personal items, and a weekly vegetable CSA-share from a local organic farm.  Apprentices must provide their own tent for sleeping and take part in shared chores including composting properly; feeding animals and maintaining clean shared spaces.

In addition to learning a lot about integrated systems on a working permaculture farm and homestead, apprentices can attend classes Wellspring offers for free (see: http://wellspringforestfarm.blogspot.com/p/water.html) and will have access to the gardens for produce they can use.

Wellspring Forest Farm is located in Mecklenburg, NY, 12 miles from Ithaca, 8 from Trumansburg and 12 miles from Watkins Glen. We share a driveway and a 2-acre pond with 4 friendly neighbors. Apprentices will likely want to have their own car for personal transportation.

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: farmers AT wellspringforestfarm.com.

Questions can also be directed to this address.

Thanks,

Elizabeth and Steve Gabriel

  • Seeking Permaculture Farm Intern/Apprentice, Mecklenburg NY, Steve Gabriel, 02/26/2015