fingerlakespermaculture - Dave Jacke in Rochester, NY 1/31 & 2/1 -Ecological Design and The Human Landscape

  • From: "patty love/Barefoot Permaculture" <patty AT barefootpermaculture.com>
  • To: <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Dave Jacke in Rochester, NY 1/31 & 2/1 -Ecological Design and The Human Landscape
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:49:01 -0500

Lots of Food’s Patty Love and Author Dave Jacke Team Up
—Space Limited, Register Now

Who should attend:

Human Services Professionals

College and University Professionals

Faith Community Leaders
Non-profit leaders
Systems Design Professionals and Students
Permaculture students, teachers, designers, and consultants

Activists

Community Organizers

We Are Nature, Working: Lessons from Ecology for Social Structure Design

Evening talk & discussion with Dave Jacke and Patty Love

Nature operates based on a set of foundational laws and principles by which all systems must abide, or they fail. The principles underlying the social structures of natural ecosystems can teach us much about organizing human societies. We can design systems that minimize stress and competition, and maximize cooperation, harmony, productivity, and diversity, while allowing each community member to remain true to their intrinsic nature. Social and economic justice and cooperation are actually more Darwinian than most people think! This evening workshop will begin by getting into some ecological nitty gritty. We’ll then explore together how the design of Rochester’s public food forest project, Lots of Food, a program of Seeking Common Ground, Inc., embodies ecological principles and how it might more fully express them.
Saturday, January 31, 7-9 pm $5-40 suggested contribution, no one will be turned away for lack funds.
The Assisi Institute, 1400 North Winton Road, Rochester, NY 14609
Register here:  http://lotsoffood.org/event/we-are-nature-working/

Ecological By Design: Honing and Deepening Our Design Processes

One-Day Workshop with Dave Jacke

Our current mainstream culture unjustly damages ecosystems and people, leading to unsustainability.  We humans need to rapidly redesign our lifeways and thinking—our culture.  We all design all the time – whether we know it or not.  By learning to design our cultures consciously and skillfully, we can co-create a resilient future for ourselves, humanity, and the planet.

In this one-day class we will dig deeply into design process theory and practice.  We’ll experience effective observation, awareness, and thinking tools that deepen our design skills and our self-understanding.  Through lectures, discussions, experiential design exercises, and more, we’ll hone, clarify, and deepen our ability to design thriving ecological and cultural systems.  This work can reframe your sense of who and what humans are, what is our ecological role, how humans can inhabit nature, and how nature lives within and through us.

Participants should bring a sketchbook, notepad or other firm drawing surface and paper, some favorite sketching tools (ink or graphite) with at least one fine point and one broad tip pencil or marker, and, if you have it, a copy of Edible Forest Gardens volume 2.
Sunday, February 1, 9:30-4:00 (BYO lunch; tea & coffee provided) $60-100 sliding scale fee, some scholarships available upon request
Pre-registration for Sunday is required!
The Assisi Institute, 1400 North Winton Road, Rochester, NY 14609

Register here: http://lotsoffood.org/event/we-are-nature-working-2/

Dave’s Bio:  A student of ecology and design since the 1970s, Dave Jacke has designed gardens, homes, farms, and communities throughout the U.S. and overseas since 1984.  The primary author of the award winning two-volume book Edible Forest Garden (www.edibleforestgardens.com), he holds a B.A. in Environmental Studies from Simon's Rock College and a M.A. in Landscape Design from the Conway School of Landscape Design.  In his teaching and his design work, Dave has always explored the interrelationships between people and land as interpenetrating whole systems, grounding his vision and theory in practical and concrete reality as much as possible.

Patty’s bio:  Patty is a permaculture designer, teacher, and emerging author based in the Genesee River Valley (Rochester, NY).  She studies and practices regenerative and resilient design, permaculture, and edible forest gardening.  Her work is informed from her education, reading, time in nature, parenting, and spiritual pursuits.  She holds two Permaculture Design Certificates in addition to traditional BS and MALS Degrees.  In addition to her business, Barefoot Edible Landscape and Permaculture, patty is the Program Director for Rochester Permaculture Center and Lots of Food, programs of See(k)ing Common Ground, Inc.

For more information: call Patty Love at 585.506.6505 or email info AT lotsoffood.org

Warmly,
patty love, MALS, PDC

patty AT barefootpermaculture.com
www.barefootpermaculture.com – owner
www.rochesterpermaculturecenter.org - Program Director
www.lotsoffood.org - Program Director
www.meetup.com/RochesterPermaculture/
www.empatheticpresence.com

Please note that I do not get to email, text msgs and voice mail every day, since much of my work keeps me in the field, teaching, growing, homesteading, etc.  I look forward to responding to you as soon as possible.  If you require my immediate attention or share my preference to minimize screen time, please call 585.506.6505.

  • Dave Jacke in Rochester, NY 1/31 & 2/1 -Ecological Design and The Human Landscape, patty love/Barefoot Permaculture, 01/27/2015