fingerlakespermaculture - Saturday, May 10: Tree Identification & Forest Ecology Workshop (Trumansburg)

  • From: Rachel Firak <rfirak AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu, List Serve <TC-HSC-L AT cornell.edu>, ithaca-list AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: Saturday, May 10: Tree Identification & Forest Ecology Workshop (Trumansburg)
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:26:37 -0400

Coming up next Saturday...

Learn about the forest in this two-part workshop! In the first class, we'll explore the woods in spring before the leaves are fully out, learning to identify trees primarily by bark. During the second class, we'll take to the woods again after trees have leafed out for the summer. In both workshops, Mike will focus on forest ecology, the relationships between all the creatures of the woods.

This class is highly recommended for land owners, conservationists, and those interested in sustainable forestry and ecology. These workshops are designed as a set, so we recommend that they are taken together. However, they can also be taken individually. Pre-register online at www.hawkmeadowfarm.com.

Workshops are held at Hawk Meadow Farm, 5066 Mott Evans Road, Trumansburg. Space is limited to 25. Dress for the weather and bring a water bottle! Both classes will involve quite a bit of off trail walking.

May 10th: Tree Identification & Forest Ecology
10 am - 1 pm ($30)
Join us for a walk in the woods, learning to identify trees before their leaves are out. We'll also explore an introduction to forest ecology.

June 7th: Forest Ecology & Management: Forest Health and Improvement
10 am - 1 pm ($30)
In this woods walk, we'll delve more into the health of the forest and dig deeper into principles of forest ecology. We'll also practice identifying trees after leaf out.

Both workshops will be held at Hawk Meadow Farm, 5066 Mott Evans Road, Trumansburg, NY (Reynoldsville). Register online here.

Michael DeMunn is a widely recognized forester and conservationist in the Finger Lakes region. He has been practicing ecological forestry for three decades and has worked for the U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service and the Soil and Water District, and for industry as head forester for a large lumber company. Michael is also a founding member of the Finger Lakes Land Trust and is their forestry adviser. He manages Ithaca College forest lands and teaches forestry field classes for the College.

Michael is very involved with environmental education with many different organizations and has written several books about connecting with Nature. Michael is also very involved with establishing Nature preserves and has done forest improvement through timber management on thousands of acres and with countless landowners in the area. He was given the name “"Da’ Ha' da’ nyah:" which means "he protects the forest" by his Seneca Hawk Clanmother when she adopted him as her son.

"No matter how much we know about the forest or the rest of Nature, we cannot understand it or manage it to last until we have a spiritual relationship with it," says Mike.

--
Let live what must live, die what must die.
Birth comes with a death, comes with a rise.

  • Saturday, May 10: Tree Identification & Forest Ecology Workshop (Trumansburg), Rachel Firak, 05/03/2014