fingerlakespermaculture - Re: May 10, June 7: Tree Identification, Forest Ecology & Conservation at Hawk Meadow Farm

  • From: Rachel Firak <rfirak AT gmail.com>
  • To: sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu, sustainablecampus AT cornell.edu, ithaca-list AT googlegroups.com, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, List Serve <TC-HSC-L AT cornell.edu>
  • Cc: Acorn Designs <Info AT acorndesigns.org>, Steve Sierigk <steve AT acorndesigns.org>
  • Subject: Re: May 10, June 7: Tree Identification, Forest Ecology & Conservation at Hawk Meadow Farm
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:41:07 -0400

(Hello community members! Sorry for the double-posting, I had to remove the flyer to get this through. Hope you all have a nice Tuesday!)

Learn about the forest in this two-part workshop! In the first class, we'll learn to identify trees before their leaves are out. We'll also explore an introduction to forest ecology. In our second woods walk, we'll delve more into the health of the forest and dig deeper into principles of forest ecology and forest management. We'll also practice identifying trees after they have leafed out.

This two-part workshop is highly recommended for landowners, conservationists, and those interested in sustainable forestry and ecology.

Tree Identification & Forest Ecology
May 10th, 10 am - 1 pm ($30)

Forest Ecology & Management: Forest Health and Improvement
June 7th, 10 am - 1 pm ($30)

Pre-registration is required. To learn more or to register for our workshops, call (607) 387-3424 or visit hawkmeadowfarm.com.

---ABOUT MIKE DEMUNN---

Michael DeMunn is a widely recognized forester and conservationist in the Finger Lakes region. He has been practicing ecological forestry for three decades and has worked for the U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service and the Soil and Water District, and for industry as head forester for a large lumber company. Michael is also a founding member of the Finger Lakes Land Trust and is their forestry adviser. He manages Ithaca College forest lands and teaches forestry field classes for the College.

Michael is very involved with environmental education with many different organizations and has written several books about connecting with Nature. Michael is also very involved with establishing Nature preserves and has done forest improvement through timber management on thousands of acres and with countless landowners in the area. He was given the name “"Da’ Ha' da’ nyah:" which means "he protects the forest" by his Seneca Hawk Clanmother when she adopted him as her son.

"No matter how much we know about the forest or the rest of Nature, we cannot understand it or manage it to last until we have a spiritual relationship with it," says Mike.

  • Re: May 10, June 7: Tree Identification, Forest Ecology & Conservation at Hawk Meadow Farm, Rachel Firak, 04/22/2014