fingerlakespermaculture - Volunteer opportunities - Lots of Food needs YOU! - come join in the fun

  • From: "patty love/Barefoot Permaculture" <patty AT barefootpermaculture.com>
  • To: <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Volunteer opportunities - Lots of Food needs YOU! - come join in the fun
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:04:41 -0400

Hi, Folks.  All ages are welcome to join us with this work, learn, teach opportunity that will help make sure every body has access to healthy food…

Lots of Food creates and supports turning disused land into edible landscapes and utilize appropriate technology to make visible the web of connection in our local food communities from dirt to fork.  (Basically, we plant public food forests from which anyone can harvest.)

We are ready to dig in and start planting so we need you to let us know when you can help us get our gardens in or if you can help us in some other ways like with signage and with some items we are in need of:

Please RSVP if you can join us.  We have garden planting parties scheduled:

Friday, 8/16 9 am - 3 pm at The Flying Squirrel Community Space on Clarissa Street

Thursday, 8/22 8 am -2 pm at the Lynch-Bradford residence on Seneca Parkway

Friday, 8/23 1:30 – 4:30 pm at The Episcopal Diocese on East Main Street

Wednesday, 8/28 4-6 pm at The Episcopal Diocese on East Main Street

Thursday, 8/29 10-3 at various sites with our Wilson Day volunteers

…With more to come soon, you can check out our calendar at:  http://lotsoffood.org/events/2013-08/

Items we are in need of:

Wood chip mulch, preferably delivered to one of our sites – please email me for more information

Frozen juice can lids – 400 needed by 8/28

Metal hangers – 200 needed by 8/28

Wire – similar to that from Chinese food takeout containers – 100 needed by 8/28

Metal Fencing and stakes – for protecting some of our babies (small trees like pawpaws)

Please consider joining us as an occasional or steady volunteer in our gardens and/or in our various working groups.

Right now our biggest needs are helping hands, materials, and signage.

If you can pick up mulch for us from a list of locations we have, please call or email me.

Here are some working groups that could use some more helpers:

Materials/resources gathering and management

 Identify resources needed and possible sources

 Develop and track site planting resource list, location, and contact information (plant materials, pallet wood, soil, compost, mulch)

 Check Craig’s List, Rochester ReUseIt, and Facebook group “Rochester Pass It On”

 Facilitate delivery of resources to installation sites in conjunction with Lot Steward

Planting party organization (human labor)

 Coordinate with Lot Steward to identify number of volunteers needed and Community Volunteers

 Outreach to LOF leadership and social media for website calendar, general mailing list, Facebook and Meetup groups for additional volunteers

 Source weather appropriate beverages for volunteers

Communications (3 sub-groups)

(1) Signage/educational materials

Develop sign design and content

 Ensure consistent LOF branding and make thoughtful deviations from branding

 Install signage at sites in a timely manner (determine what point that is)

 Identify resources needed and possible sources

 Suggest and develop educational materials such as plant info, recipes, etc.

(2) Publicity
Write press releases for review by Program Director

 Distribute press releases to media and to Social Media WG Leader

 Suggest publicity channels and methods

 Leader shall coordinate with Social Media WG Leader

 Source and coordinate LOF photo and video documentation

(3) Social media
Identify best uses for website, Facebook page, Facebook, and meetup.com

 Suggest structure and content for website, Facebook page, Facebook, and meetup.com

 Update content on website, Facebook page, Facebook, and meetup.com

Working Group Leaders (L)

 Assemble and work with volunteer team to carry out tasks in a timely manner and to meet (or renegotiate) time agreements

 Accept responsibility for complete agreed upon tasks within time agreement

 Report back to Guild Team at meetings with progress and support needed

 Work and communicate with Program Director as needed

For more information,

Contact info AT lotsoffood.org

Visit www.lotsoffood.org

See our calendar at http://lotsoffood.org/events/

Visit https://www.facebook.com/#!/lotsoffoodrochester

Call 585.506.6505

Warmly,

patty love, MALS, PDC

Lots of Food Program Director

(a program of Seeking Common Ground, Inc.)
www.lotsoffood.org

www.rochesterpermaculturecenter.org

http://www.meetup.com/RochesterPermaculture/
www.barefootpermaculture.com

PO Box 18212, Rochester, NY 14618

Please note:  I live a very full life, spending most of my time away from my computer and outdoors working or with my family and friends.  There may be times when I don't respond right away to your important email.  If you require my immediate attention, please call 585.506.6505.

"My life's purpose is gathering and sharing resources and information that regenerate my own and others' abundant existence and vibrant well-being." ~ patty love

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."  ~ Albert Szent-Giorgi, Nobel Laureate

  • Volunteer opportunities - Lots of Food needs YOU! - come join in the fun, patty love/Barefoot Permaculture, 08/13/2013