fingerlakespermaculture - Agroforestry on the Permaculture Podcast

  • From: Steve Gabriel <steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Agroforestry on the Permaculture Podcast
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:09:05 -0400

http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2013/agroforestry/

This is a conversation Steve Gabriel (www.FarmingTheWoods.com) had recently with Scott Mann of the Permaculture Podcast. They cover a lot of ground about the relationship between permaculture and agroforestry and get into many of the specific systems of forest farming, including mushroom production, and use of tree crops for riparian buffers and windbreaks.

Here is an outline of the conversation:
    •    Role of Academia, Extension, and Research in furthering Permaculture
    •    Definitions of Agroforestry and Forest Farming vs Forest Gardening
    •    Discussion of approaches to healthy forest management
    •    Examples of stacking yields in time and space with an example of Black Walnut/Paw Paw/Grazing polyculture
    •    Incentives for farmers to adapt Agroforestry practices
    •    Specifics of mushroom cultivation as a Forest Framing practice
    •    The vision and potential of Forest Farming

We also discuss the book, our fundraising campaign, and the research we are conducting to track down and tell the stories of forest farmers. Our thanks to Scott for putting together a great recording, and for all of the friends, colleagues, family, and forest farming enthusiasts that have supported our work.

With 27 days to go on our fundraising campaign, we’ve been successful at raising 54% of our goal. We are very thankful for each of your contributions. Your gift will help document science and craft of forest farming. Please help support our work - and share! http://igg.me/at/farmingthewoods.

  • Agroforestry on the Permaculture Podcast, Steve Gabriel, 04/11/2013