fingerlakespermaculture - Forest Farming Case Studies - Midwestern US

  • From: Steve Gabriel <steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Forest Farming Case Studies - Midwestern US
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 09:21:18 -0400

Case studies offer a glimpse into the future potential of forest farming. While the concept may be new to many of us, there are silent farmers and gardeners working all over the US (and beyond), growing non-traditional crops like mushrooms, ginseng, and hickory nuts. We want our book to encourage dialogue and a greater expansion of forest farming in temperate regions. To this end, we are committed to collecting, telling, and facilitating the stories of established forest farmers and to connect them with new forest farmers.

We are currently planning for a research trip to the Midwest. This trip brings us to one of the colder temperate regions of the US, and should offer insight into the challenges and opportunities of tree-based agriculture. Despite the challenging environment, some of the most incredible examples of woody agriculture exist in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Can you assist by connecting us to more forest farmers? Please contact us if you know more sites in the upper Midwest. Your contribution to our campaign also is also needed. Your gift of $50 or more can help get us to the Midwest to share the stories online for free and in the upcoming boo. We will express our gratitude with a signed copy of the book when it is published in 2014!

FULL ARTICLE: http://farmingthewoods.com/2013/03/28/into-the-woods-case-studies-for-the-book/

  • Forest Farming Case Studies - Midwestern US, Steve Gabriel, 03/30/2013